Caring for a Covid-19 patient at Home
Has your loved one tested positive for Covid-19? If they have mild symptoms of the virus, they may be staying at home while in quarantine. Are you wondering how you can best take care of them at home? Looking after a sick loved one and the rest of your family members is essential, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic.
This article explores some useful tips for caregivers when it comes to looking after a Covid-19 patient at home. For example:
- Put the Covid-19 patient in their own room. The room must be well ventilated. For instance, it should have open windows as well as an open door. Other family members in the home must stay in another room if they can, or if they can’t stay in another room, then they must keep a distance of at least one metre from the sick patient.
- The patient needs to use their own bathroom, if possible.
- Their movement around the home also needs to be restricted.
- Good ventilation, like keeping the windows open, is necessary in shared spaces in your home, such as the bathroom.
- The patient needs to wear a mask as much as they can. Change their mask each day.
- Give the patient their own dishes, cups, cutlery, bed linen, as well as towels. Wash all of these items very well after every use.
- Wear disposable gloves when you touch the patient, their environment or any surfaces.
- When you are in the same room as the patient, you need to wear a medical mask. Make sure that the mask covers your mouth and nose.
- Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces that your family members touch regularly is necessary, at least once every day. Examples of surfaces include doorknobs, light switches and toilets.
- Personal items like toothbrushes and towels should not be shared with the patient.
- What happens if you have had some contact with the patient? Your hands have to be cleaned regularly, for a minimum of 20 seconds, after you have had contact with them. Your hands can be dried with disposable paper towels. If you don’t have disposable paper towels at home, then you can dry your hands with a reusable towel. Change the towel once it becomes wet.
- What about laundry? Their clothes, bed linen, as well as their hand and bath towels can be cleaned with regular laundry soap and water. Or you can machine wash these items using a common household detergent. Wash these items in hot water and dry them very well.
- Masks and gloves should not be reused.
At Wholeness Healthcare we provide quality medical equipment for a quality life. Contact us today about our certified quality Covid-19 medical supplies. Tel/App: +263 772 438 068 | +263 717 013 206 or Email: email@example.com.